|Summer Camp Counselor|
|Denny Price Family YMCA|
Monday - Friday during the summer.
Job Application Deadline:
|May 1, 2018|
YMCA Competencies of a Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The camp counselor provides the leadership for the heart of the program. Counselors working in the
after school program work after school, holiday breaks, and no school fun days. Counselors working in
the summer day camp program work from the week before camp begins (for training) to the end of the
final week of the summer. Summer Camp counselors also attend a team building training before camp
1. Communicate with people at all levels in a positive way
2. Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
3. Ability to work efficiently and accurately on a computer using our software tools
4. Ability to support management and philosophies of the Denny Price Family YMCA
5. Must be extremely organized, accurate, reliable, and diligent in meeting deadlines
6. Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
7. Confidentiality is imperative, the incumbent must be mature and discrete
1. At least 18 years old
2. CPR and First Aid certified
3. Good health and hygiene and be committed to working with staff and children from wide
variety of backgrounds
4. One year of college or its equivalent. The equivalent is defined as either a camp counselor-intraining
or one season’s experience as a junior counselor.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is frequently required to sit; talk; or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand;
walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop; kneel; or crouch. The
employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision, distance vision and depth perception.